Tuesday, May 6, 2014

OperaRox in NYC

It's been an exciting couple of weeks for me and my OperaRox gang!

On April 25, a bunch of us got together at the Metropolitan Opera for a performance of Rossini's La Cenerentola starring Joyce DiDonato, Javier Camarena, and Luca Pisaroni.  The show was fun, moving, and beautifully sung.  Mr. Camarena's singing was so compelling that he received an encore in the middle of the opera! 

Joyce DiDonato was kind enough to come out to talk with us after the show.  She must have been exhausted after all that coloratura, but she took her time with all of us, signing autographs and taking pictures.  She even took a selfie with all of us!

   
Joyce DiDonato and some of the OperaRox gang
Then, Ms. DiDonato did us another huge favor and gave OperaRox a shout-out in her OperaNews Singer Studio masterclass and interview.  We are so lucky to have such a wonderful and successful advocate!  She also mentioned my other project, Opera21, which I edit with founder Jen Choi.  Opera is alive and well in the 21st Century.



In other news, one of my favorite NYC opera companies, New York Opera Exchange, is opening their new production of La Traviata this week.  I conducted interviews with leads soprano Samantha Guevrekian (Violetta) and tenor Kyle Van Schoonhoven (Alfredo).  They talk about their own artistry and their opinions on these characters.  I love talking with singers and learning about their personalities and how they prepare a role.

I hate how people are always inferring that opera is a "dying" art form.  I disagree completely.  I think opera speaks to us now, just as it always has, and there is nothing less accessible about it than any other art form.  We just need to learn how to overcome the stigmas that society has put on it and improve opera education.  Because, OperaRox!


No comments: