Thursday, June 6, 2013

Life in NYC

For the past two weeks, I've been participating in Classical Singing and New York in June, a training program for singers involving some of the best Manhattan coaches and teachers.  I'm loving all my  coachings, lessons, and master classes.  I'll definitely be blogging more about this program after it's over (and after I've recovered!).  We're having our final concert this Sunday, June 9th at the Christ & St. Stephan's Church if you're interested!  (3pm, 69th between Broadway and Columbus)

Today, we took a very special Lincoln Center Tour with guide Maria Mansfield (there's a NY Times article about her here).  I was not only impressed by her vast knowledge (she's been giving tours for 45 years!), but I was so encouraged by her advice to young singers.  She told us, in her no-nonsense way:

"When someone says something negative to you, when they give you a negative comment, you just throw it away.  You know that little garbage can on your computer screen?  Just throw it in there.  Gone.  Don't think about the one person who doesn't like you.  Think about all the others who do."

She told us great stories about Beverly Sills and James Levine and other influential opera/classical music people.  She took us into a rehearsal of the NY Phil and we got to see Alan Gilbert conducting the Phil, Patricia Racette, and Gerald Finley!  I love hearing them live and what a perfect way to start my day.

Another encouraging moment was seeing Rise Stevens' costumes on display at the Met.  They had her Octavian and Cherubino jackets and one of her Carmen dresses.  You can tell she had a womanly, yet fit, figure.  It was so inspiring to see a physical representation of a tiny part of what she achieved and hope to do the same.  Her recordings are incredible and if you haven't checked them out, you really should.  Her Orfeo is my favorite.

Alright, I'm off to a coaching!  Before I go, I want to give a shout-out to my good friend, Jessica, and thank her for writing a really nice article about me and other young bloggers who love opera.  Viva the next gen of opera! :)

1 comment:

Bela said...

I tried to comment before but I don't think it worked hahaha
You trip sounds incredibly dreamy! Plus seeing Patricia Racette and Gerald Finley live must be so awesome!
Can't wait to hear more about your trip! You should do a day by day thing about it ;)
btw this is @isazozo