Monday, April 8, 2013

Feeling Legit

A little over a year ago, OperaRox was just a fun idea that was doing jumping-jacks in my head.  Now, it's a community of opera enthusiasts that spans continents, ages, and social media platforms. Most exciting of all, it is now being acknowledged by powers in the opera world.

First, mezzo Joyce DiDonato gave OperaRox a shout-out at her Juilliard Masterclass when asked how young people can get involved in opera.  I'd organized a meet-up at her performance of Donizetti's Maria Stuarda at the Met back in January and when they met her at the stage door, they told her that they were all part of the OperaRox group.  (Technically, they've deemed themselves the OperaRox "gang," but that's another story.)

Next, Met children's chorus member Melanie Spector mentioned OperaRox on the classical radio station WQXR during her intermission interview.  I've been listening to WQXR since I was a kid, so it was really special to get a shout-out there. 

As you can imagine, I was starting to feel pretty legit.

Finally, I got an email/phone call today from the artistic director of NY Opera Exchange asking me to review their new production of Don Giovanni.  I'm very excited about this opportunity and I'm hoping that it will only lead to more!  I've always been impressed with the quality of NY Opera Exchange's productions and concerts.  They're definitely a thriving part of NYC's opera scene.

If you're interested in the OperaRox community, you can find us on Tumblr and Twitter (with the hashtag #operarox or you can follow me @cherubino88).  I host LiveShows on occasion where you can interact with other opera lovers in real-time.  Announcements for the LiveShows are made on Tumblr and Twitter. 

So stick around and we'll see what comes of it.  Definitely check back for my review of NY Opera Exchange's Don Giovanni in May!

No comments: