Monday, December 10, 2012

Jingle All the Way

My first semester at grad school is wrapping up at an insane speed.  At this point, I'm just trying to hold on and get everything done on time.  I had a concert this past week and I have two more in the next two weeks.

This Sunday, we're having our big holiday gala: Dawn Upshaw & Friends, A Winter Songfest.  We've been working on ensemble and solo pieces, pulling together through additional rehearsals and coachings.  Today, I was having major dance class flashbacks as we choreographed the Bing Crosby/Andrews Sisters (and, more recently, Michael Buble/Puppini Sisters) version of "Jingle Bells."  This is not something that I ever imagined myself doing in grad school.  However, I can't help but enjoy a good surprise.

These past few months have been nothing short of thrilling.  Sure, it's been a tremendous challenge, but I feel good about the things that I've accomplished so far.  I know that I have so much more to do, but I look forward to it with enthusiasm.  Naturally, it has been overwhelming at times, but the people around me have helped me get through every stressful moment.  I'm realizing more every day how important it is to have a strong support system.  My mentors and peers are immensely helpful, but it's also good to have people outside of this environment who are always there for me.  And they're the ones that I'm looking forward to seeing when I go home for Christmas.

At the end of the day, I can't help but think about the holidays.  I'm unabashedly soaking up all the Christmas music I can get and I've made a list of all the Christmas movies that I have to watch when I get home.  I can almost feel the sticky cookie dough between my fingers -- it's so close!  I can't wait to spend some down-time with my family, boyfriend, and friends.  It seems like a fitting reward for this semester's work and I know it'll be a great way to recharge for next semester.

But it ain't over 'til it's over, so I've got to go catch some Zzzs.  I'm wishing you all a very Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukkah, and an amazing New Year.  Here's to fun and exciting things! 

No comments: