Monday, August 13, 2012

Role Model: Frederica Von Stade

I'm sure that almost every mezzo-soprano in the world will say that Frederica Von Stade, or "Flicka" as she's endearingly called, is an artist they consider a role model.  I have many mezzo role models and Ms. Von Stade is definitely one of them.

The thing I love most about Ms. Von Stade is her personality.  She has an incredible attitude about life, singing, and people.  I recently stumbled upon an interview with her from the Houston PBS in 2009 and it confirmed all the things that I admire about her.  In this interview with Ernie Manouse, she covers everything: her own career, the pressures on young artists, how to balance a home life with a career, arts education, and the continual joy of learning.  This woman still takes voice lessons!  And she's not ashamed or embarrassed to admit it.  She's one of the most humble artists that I've encountered (in interviews, personal statements, other artists' opinions, etc) and a real role model to me in that way.

This interview is really a breath of fresh air.  I hope that I can always be as positive as Ms. Von Stade and just keep learning, because there is no end to exploring and growing it comes to music and to singing.  That's one of the things that I love about this craft - the endlessness of it.  I know that I will never truly reach the point where I know everything.  There will always be something to challenge me.  And that idea excites me.


No comments: