Tuesday, July 10, 2012

From Little Black Dots to MP3s

These days, it seems like every story starts with a phone call.  To make a long story short, I got a phone call from someone I had never met before and now I have a new summer project. 

I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to record a new piece for NYC composer Cynthia Lee Wong.  It's always been a dream of mine to be the first to tackle/record a piece of music and it seems that my dream has now become a reality.

I can't say much about it yet, but the piece is really right up my alley and it's been an absolute pleasure learning it.  I love the entire process of taking notes on a page and watching them transform into a work of art.  Collaboration is one of my favorite things in the world and I'm reveling in every moment of it.  Since I've spent time in orchestras, choruses, chamber ensembles, and opera casts, I've experienced all different types of collaborative environments.  This interplay between artist and composer (and, by extension, librettist) is a completely new realm for me and I'm really enjoying it.

And, of course, it's wonderful to work with Ms. Wong.  She is the best kind of collaborator.  She is so humble and yet she has accomplished so much.  Her compositions have been commissioned and performed by such prestigious groups as the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra.  It's only an honor and privilege to work with such a high-level artist.

This year has been so exciting for me and I'm ready for things to get even more exciting.  I can only feel blessed.

No comments: