Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Questo il fin

Don Giovanni, my work and my passion for the past 9 months, has come to a close. It's always strange and difficult to say goodbye to something that was such a huge part of your life for such a long time. Of course I'm not overly sad because 1. it was such a rewarding and satisfying experience and 2. it's never "goodbye forever" with opera because there's always the chance that you will play that role again. However, this cast and this production was a one-time thing and I will miss it, but I'm not sad at all because it was such a positive experience and I feel accomplished.

This production involved a ton of "firsts" for me:
-first time playing a woman
-having something more than terza donna
-working with a conductor who is not my professor
-bowing last (woman)
-"receiving" the maestro during the bows
-curtsying (!) during the bows
-singing a role that's often considered a "soprano" role
-performing secco recitative in a full-length opera
And there were many more-- I'm sure of it.

I think the worst part about closing a show is putting aside the character. Elvira was fun and she had so much energy. I learned from her and from the journey that it took to find her. I will miss singing her music and living her life, but I'm happy because I had the opportunity to do so in the first place.

For me, the end of a show, more than anything else, births gratitude. I am constantly in awe of the wonderful and incredible things that I'm able to experience and be a part of. Now I have to go back to "normal life" and get ready for some more important things. It's different, but it's still exciting. There is so much to prepare for and to look forward to.

So I'll leave you with a few visual highlights from the show. As usual, I adored my costume, which is something that I always hate giving back.







Pictures Courtesy of David Salazar (#1 & #3) and Joseph Estrema (#2).

1 comment:

Erin said...

Looks like so much fun. I'm sure you were spectacular in such a fun role. Elvira is amazing!