Friday, July 16, 2010

[hoʊm]

What a wonderful ten days I had at NYOS! It was such a positive experience all around. I can't say enough good things about it! I learned so much about artistry and performance as well as got my butt in shape. I walked more than 5 miles a day for sure and I had a movement class every morning.

Surprisingly, I also learned about myself as a person. I wasn't expecting an opera boot camp to be a soul-searching experience, but it was. The things I learned in those ten days will most definitely resonate for weeks and months, maybe even years.

And it was so much fun. I got to hang out with people who love opera just as much as I do and who are committed to the craft. It was absolutely thrilling to have detailed conversations about the great singers of the past and Romantic operas and the difference between Baroque and Classical recitative. Nerdy, I know, but exciting nonetheless.

There's so much to look forward to! I'm glad that my summer didn't end with that program. Now I can take what I've learned and move into this dangerous territory known as Don Giovanni. I can't wait to see what I'll discover here in the murky depths of Mozart's drama. It will most definitely be an adventure.

No comments: