Monday, July 19, 2010

I Now Present the Winner of the 1979 Abominable Snowman Competition

Honestly, where do they come up with this stuff?

I've been having tons-o-fun surfing around Youtube for Don Giovanni fodder and since Kiri Te Kanawa is rumored to be "the best" Elvira of all time (along with Schwarzkopf, of course), I attempted to find a video of her. And find a video, I did.

If they had a competition for the worst costume EVER, this would most definitely win. I mean, is that a cocoon on her head? And is that a wedding dress with enough bows on it to induce nausea?

And yet, she still sings like an angel, so who am I to complain? Her Elvira is much less harsh than others (such as Bartoli's), but it's clean and beautiful and effecting. Her voice is perfect for this role in both construction and tone. She definitely uses her personal voice to its greatest advantage here. I love how so many different voices can sing the same role and draw so many different aspects out of the same character.

Either way, I present Donna Elvira in disguise as the Abominable Snowman. (She is totally going to win back Giovanni in that get-up...) Watch and enjoy.

No comments: