Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Who Stole the Cookie From The Cookie Jar?

Friday I'm leaving for the New York Opera Studio Summer Intensive. I'm so excited! I'm ready for tons of German rep, diction lessons with Nico Castel, and, of course, pants roles! (I'm still getting used to the idea that I'm playing a woman in the opera in January...)

I will be singing Hänsel (Humperdinck's Hänsel und Gretel) and the Third Spirit in the Pamina "suicide scene" (Mozart's Die Zauberflöte). Both characters are little boys. This should be so much fun!

My music in the Hänsel scene was a bit tricky at first but I'm really having fun with it now. The melodies are so gorgeous and downright cute at times. The witch's music is horrifying - I won't have to act at all! She sings repetitive staccato high Bs, trills, huge leaps, and other crazy stuff. I'm looking forward to bringing this scene to life.

Here's a clip from Hänsel und Gretel with the charming Brigitte Fassbänder and Edita Gruberova. It's not the scene that I'm doing, but it exemplifies Humperdinck's musical style and it shows you just how cute Hänsel and Gretel are! :)

No comments: