Thursday, June 3, 2010

Personally...

It seems that there is a constant debate over how personal a blog should be. Certainly everyone can read it and ultimately you're responsible for everything you write, but where does the line lie? When does a blog become so sterile that it ceases to be an extension of a personality but instead a dry recording of facts? But when is one saying too much?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I've been meaning to write about it. Then I read two posts in the same day on this very issue (consequently both written by opera singers, here and here) and I knew I had to address it.

I've come to realize that ultimately, life is always a tight-rope act: it's about learning how to stay on the rope and not lean too far to either side. It's about scouting the territory, finding the boundary lines, and deciding which lines you should cross and which lines you should completely avoid. Some things are obvious, but others are not. There are grey zones and we must learn how to navigate them.

We are all unique -- each of us is singular in this universe, and I think we should share our selves, our intricately crafting being, with others. We all can harbor a light inside us and if we let that light shine in the world, it can work against the darkness that already lurks about us, plaguing us with its presence every day. I write to share my ideas and thoughts and experiences with those who would care to hear them and I write to shine my light in the dark places of the world. We all deal with things and have bad days; why shouldn't I write about the good things in life? I can't tell you how many times I've gone over to Joyce DiDonato's blog and been inspired or uplifted by her positive posts. When I see something that I like, I try to do the same; I always try to follow a good example and this is one of those instances.

I don't claim to be able to do much - to be anything great or peerless. But I do want to do good things, and if I can help one person at one time in his or her life, then all I have done will be worth it because there is no greater thing than to help someone else. This is one of the reasons I sing and this is one of the reasons I write. I will not be stifled, I will not be stopped when I am doing what I know is right.

So this blog will be personal. I will do my best to shine my unique light and perhaps scare away a few rain clouds along the way.

No comments: