Friday, June 18, 2010

Elvira

In January 2011, I will be singing Donna Elvira in Hofstra Opera Theater's fully-staged production of Don Giovanni. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

I am beyond excited for this opportunity. First of all, this is the largest role that I've ever been given the privilege to sing. Second of all, it's a Mozart opera. Third, it's Don Giovanni and we're talking about Elvira. She is, in my opinion, one of the most interesting female characters in the Mozart repertoire (and that's saying a lot considering her competition). And her music is out-of-this-world amazing. I mean, she gets to enter to the opening of "Ah chi mi dice mai." What more could you ask for?

Her dilemma is so compelling to me. I've already begun to really imagine how it all went down for her and how she must be feeling throughout the opera. I still can't believe that I'm going to have the privilege to interpret her character and bring her to life.

I feel so intensely grateful. Every day I'm reminded of how lucky I am and I just get chills, thinking "How could I be so lucky? How could I be allowed to be a part of this incredible art form of opera? How could I be allowed to be such an active part of this great story of Don Giovanni and his brush with mortality?" The gratitude within me is just overwhelming. There are no other words for the way I feel.

I take this all very seriously. There's a responsibility to do things to the best of my ability. It's like when a writer sits down to create their novel: she (or he) owes it to her readers to give her absolute best on every page. So I'm ready to wrestle through recit and coloratura and Italian to get to the heart of it all.

I cannot wait. This will surely be another great adventure. :)

1 comment:

Kevin Mahaffy, Jr. said...

Congrats Kim! That's awesome! You're going to do awesome. I appreciate your commitment to hard work and excellence. What a testimony of the reality of Jesus in your life.
PK