Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Happy Birthday to Handel!

I have to admit: I forgot it was Handel's birthday. It's weird, though, because I spent the entire weekend absolutely addicted to his Alcina. I listened to the whole thing all the way through once and listened to various parts of it between 3-8 times. (I'm in love with this opera!) I sang the Act III trio from that opera today in my scenes class. Between that trio, the new Met season, and NYCO's Partenope, I spent a good amount of time talking about Handel today with friends and teachers. And I had no idea until now that it is Handel's birthday! How funny.

So to celebrate, let me share the Handel love. Today I made another discovery! I found a recording of Jennifer Rivera singing Handel's "Come nube che fugge dal vento," Nerone's mad aria from Agrippina. I LOVE THIS ARIA. And to Jenny Rivera: not bad for opening night... I still don't know how anyone gets through this aria; it's absolutely INSANE. She does a smashingly amazing job here. This is definitely worth listening to. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

And I just couldn't leave this out; it was just too good. This video is hysterical and slightly amazing. I've been wrestling through 20th century music in history class, so this really struck a chord with me. I present the newest conductor on the block conducting Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. :)

2 comments:

Bob said...

Kim

Did any body make a recording of
your opera?
Or at least your part - Dad maybe?
If so can it be posted/

Uncle Bob

CuriousKat said...

No one should subject a kid to that kind of music at that age that he knows the pulses and "unpredictable accents and rests" lol...but amazing nonetheless