Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Zwar langweil' ich...

Today was wonderful. A Sound of Music bus tour in the morning, a great lesson in the afternoon, and a beautiful trip to the castle at night.

The Sound of Music tour brought us to places where they filmed the movie and where the actual Von Trapps lived. The tour guide was so cute and entertaining. We sang along with the soundtrack on the way there and back. Overall, it was tons of fun.

The Hohenburg castle was so cool. I felt like I was in Lord of the Rings and hanging out at Helmsdeep. There's a great view of Salzburg from up there and we got to see a gorgeous sun set. We came out from the inner section of the castle just as the sun was setting over the city. Mom said, "Well that wasn't a coincidence. Thank you, God!"

We took way too many pictures. They're still uploading as I type this.

We'll be taking a trip to Munich tomorrow (I have a day off) so I probably won't be updating the pictures until Friday or so. And on Sunday, it's back to the States! It's been quite an adventure here in Europe. There are so many stories to be told and so many things to remember. I have one more lesson with Ms. Moser on Friday. I'm interested to see how it all turns out.

Guten Abend!

2 comments:

Bob said...

I don't think you have missed taking a picture of any building, statue, hallway or a cafe in all of Salzburg.
Fifty pictures of the sunset - that's a bit much; string them together and you have a movie.
Make sure you get a picture of your teacher - and one of you both together - that will be your reward.

Tyler said...

Kim,

I am posting this comment in regards to all of your posts describing your exceptional experience in Austria, where you have gone to study and are apparently having an immense amount of fun doing it.

Where do I begin? How exciting it must have been to stand five feet away from Barbara Bonney in a cafe! If there was a city in the world that celebrated the life of musical figures in the grand style attributed to celebrities from Hollywood here in the United States, it would have to be in Austria; I simply could not envision it anywhere else. You actually touched a piano played and owned by the Schumanns and Brahams; the very thought of Brahams playing that beautiful instrument while composing his Intermezzo in A Major, Opus 118, is overwhelming, let alone the realization that Robert Schumann composed his lieder at that piano. If my opinion is of any importance, the Stephansdom is one of the most beautiful cathedrals I have ever seen. One must marvel when they look at the intricate detail reserved for these structures to better illustrate and glorify the grace of God, and you received such a blessing as to see it in person. It is truly lamentable that we today do not adorn our places of worship in such a manner. When you visited the Vienna State Opera, did you just take a tour of it, or did you see a performance there? I know it was smaller than the Met, which reminds me that we are incredibly blessed to have such an organization here in our country, but was the decoration more ornate than that of our cultural institution? The pictures you posted of the cafe in which you saw Ms. Bonney looked, as most European cafes do, like an inviting, comfortable location and not unlike a room in a home there. American establishments should accept some instruction on this style of decorum.

I am sorry this comment is so long, but I did devote it to all of your posts on Austria, so this fact necessitates the lengthiness of my response. Finally, I am elated that your masterclass session is proceeding so well, and I hope you return home safely. Thank you for showing us so much of your experience.

-Tyler.