Monday, August 31, 2009

New

I've been thinking that this blog has become (or always was) rather boring and un-me, which is sad. I want to be able to show off my personality and interests here, but it seems like I've always been tied down by the idea that I have to write a "good" post or that I have to have a "proper" blog. I'm not sure if that idea is right or not, but I think I'm going to throw it out the window. Bon voyage!

From now on, I'm going to write as me. Even that sounds pretentious. OH WELL. I'm sorry if this blog becomes horrible or whatever, but I don't care anymore. I'm just going to write about me and what I'm doing and what I'm dealing with.

This is a new semester, a new year, a new opportunity to be a better human being. I cut my hair pretty short -- it's my version of "growing it out." You have to even it out before it can grow out, right? Right.

*sigh* Haircuts...the bane of my existence. If only my hair was as nice and manageable as it was when I was 10. Then life would be perfect. (ha) Still, why is it that when I was ten years old, my hair looked like it walked right out of a Hollywood dressing room every day? I didn't DO anything! Just more proof that life is never fair. (But mercy makes life unfair just as soon as politics ever did.)

So, this semester is opera-exciting because 1. we have Fledermaus in January and 2. we have opera scenes starting in the next week.

Now I must have two declarations of love.

One, to my new favorite blogger Jennifer Rivera. Her blog Trying to Remain Opera-tional makes me laugh and feel better about myself every day. Much love to her and her honestly humorous antics. The fact that she is a mezzo just makes it all the better. She talks about Sesto and my heart melts (Mozart, honestly). Also, I've learned a lot from her posts on stage kissing and traveling and all those other wonderful things that I have to deal with. Reading about her experiences was like re-living my European Adventure. It's so nice to not be "the only one"! There's something cathartic about reading your thoughts in someone else's words.

Second, my love for a new CD that I just got from my beloved amazon.com: a collection of mezzo arias sung by Vesselina Kasarova. Her singing blows my mind. The one thing that I love most about it is her ability to be so expressive without sacrificing musicality or technicality. She's always spot on with her technique and she never disrespects the music or the composer. And yet, there's something new in her interpretations -- a life and expression that I haven't heard elsewhere. Her "voi che" and "che faro" and "nacqui all'affano" are to DIE for. Actually, the whole album pretty much is worth dying for. Best $7.99 of my life!

It amuses me that I can feel so much for words on a computer screen and the effect of air moving past two folds of cartilage. Words and music...how I love you both!

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Kim,

If this post is supposed to illustrate a drastic change in the style and structure of your blog, I like it, but I must admit that I do not see much of a difference. Perhaps future posts will better delineate the shift, or this change could be your perception of your blog. In any event, the blog is yours, so I would not worry about what you do with it because that is why people, me included among their ranks, peruse your blog in the first place, and that is to meet the person writing the blog. I shall always enjoy what I read here.

As for the rest of your post, from your enticing description of Vesselina Kasarova, I shall require myself to experience her artistry; forgive me if I ignorantly classify her, but she sounds as if she could elate me with her voice just as much as Cecilia Bartoli does. I am happy that you are going to attempt "Parto, Parto" in your opera scenes class this forthcoming semester.

How did you find Jennifer Rivera's blog? I was curious because I thought that I might find other singers' blogs through the directory. I see that you read the post about "opera kissing"; at the calculated risk of personal embarrassment and questioned morality, I must confess that I, too, was intrigued by the title and read the article. I like most of her posts, and I am anxious to hear her sing.

As always, I thank you for continuing your relation of events to us, your loyal readers, and I pray that God continually blesses you.

-Tyler.