Thursday, February 19, 2009

Speranza

One of the cruelest forms of torture is having no voice. I haven't had a voice since Sunday. I hate this! It doesn't happen too often to me, but when it does, it's an event.

Anyway! I went to the library last night to bring back my videos of Arabella & L'Orfeo and to pick up the copy of Cosi that had come in from another library. The man behind the desk (middle-aged, dark hair, glasses, always sweet) checked in my videos and asked, rather surprised,

"Are these operas?"

"Yes," I answered.

"You like these?" I nodded and added, a bit sheepishly,

"I hope to sing it one day."

"Really! How did you get into it?"

For once I escaped the wrath of the discouragers! He was genuinely interested. So I told him the story about how I stumbled upon my love for opera. (In short: Figaro.)

He puttered around while I talked, putting away my videos and finding Cosi for me. When I was done explaining, he handed me my 80s La Scala Cosi fan tutte and said,

"How great would that be? You're from Hicksville and you become a big diva. That would be so great..."

How cute is that? He actually took me seriously! Finally! Everyone always gives me the "you're a crazy woman" look. He actually believed me and encouraged me! There is hope!

3 comments:

Dar said...

'Everyone always gives me the "you're a crazy woman" look.' - Welcome to the modern world. The world filled mostly by people with intelligence way below the average. To make matters more depressing, most of them think that any higher form of art; and one needs to count opera as one of it; is old-dated, unpopular and dull.
Therefore I must admit personally that I admire your love of it. It is such an interesting difference in the present days.

Good luck in your life.

Tyler said...

Dear Kim,

I just noticed that you have begun to follow my blog, and I wanted to sned some small word of thanks for your kind action. I am glad you decided to follow my trivial ramblings. Thank you!

Naturally, being a person blessed with an inquisitive mind, a trait that can be both a vice as well as a virtue, I decided to visit your blog, and I must say I like what I read. I shall be sure to reciprocate your following of my posts in kind, so I may stay abreast of the developments of your career as a mezzo-soprano (Who commanded that sopranos should get the leads in every opera? Cecilia Bartoli, who I am pleased to see is on your list of favorite singers, recently ignored the edict when she recorded Bellini's La Sonnambula where she sang Amina with Juan Diego Florez singing Elvino. Apparently, sopranos are guilty of forever elevating the role that Bellini originally composed for a mezzo.)

As for your current post, your voice will return soon, I am sure of that. You are probably just suffering from a rationally explainable lack of voice like so many of us students, formal and otherwise. There are some days that I ask myself why I pursue this thing called opera that no member of family likes, but there are others where I think I can sing anything. Such is the life of a singer.

About your experience at your library, how great is it that the librarian was genuinely interested in your journey to opera? All too often, young singers or young aficionados, whichever one happens to be, are plagued by their peers. Three solutions to that problem exist: either you continue with your interest in the subject and ignore their behavior, cease to like opera, or locate a friend who shares your passion. It seems as if you have elected to employ a combination of all three, and it appears that they have served you well.

-Tyler.

Samantha said...

Don't you love it when they give you that "oh...you want to be an opera singer..." attitude? haha! Gotta love it. Just one of those extra brilliant joys of doing what you love. ;) Also, a comment on your post previous...French, too, is my most pesky friend of all the languages. Give me Hungarian any day...but French...that's going to take some more work. hehe!

Love the Dream Roles list, too...gives me an idea for my blog... :)