Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Poppea Gets a Make-Over

We had our production meeting today. We saw the model of the set (hooray kid's puppet theater!) and the drawings of the costume designs. How exciting!

The set is a construction site but you can't tell if it's being built or being torn down. That works really well with the whole concept of the opera. I'm intrigued. There are so many levels to it and it's very colorful. I'm really diggin' it. :)

My costume for Valletto is really fun. It's an all green "tunic" thing: it's sleeveless and short. It looks like ancient Roman stuff. However, I'm also wearing tennis shoes with high socks (with the two stripes on the top -- you know those!) and sweatbands on my wrists and head. It reminds me of the kid from Juno, Bleeker. Good times.

I've been excited about this opera since it started and I still am. It's NOT my favorite plot (and I don't know who I should actually invite since it could be rather risque), but it's a good production. I'm going to ride this for all it's got. :)

P.S. I'm going to see Thais tomorrow. I can't wait! This is my first time seeing Ms. Fleming sing live and what could be better than Massenet to be the first? (Mozart...that's the only thing that could be better...) I'll be sure to give you a detailed report. It's closing night tomorrow, so if you wanna see it, you'd better get out there tomorrow (or get a bootleg of the HD transmission...bootleg opera- that's a funny idea). Ciao!

No comments: