Saturday, December 27, 2008

Met Opera Tour


Oct & Dec 2008 042, originally uploaded by cherubino88.

I've been to the Met many times. This was the first time I got to see its inner-workings.

The backstage tour was so cool! I saw Renee Fleming's costumes for Thais up close and personal. I touched Roberto Alagna's and Samuel Ramey's costumes. I met the "wigmeister" and seamstresses and stage hands and prop masters. They still had a box of props from Gatsby! I'd think that old stuff would clutter up the place. With the exception of that, everything had its place. How does anyone keep track of all that stuff? I saw some sets they were working on for Orfeo and Boheme.

The most exciting parts were seeing Peter Gelb up close (twice!) and stealing a peek at a rehearsal for the new production of Orfeo. At first all I saw was the dancers. Then I saw her: Stephanie Blythe! She had the guitar prop and she was singing and everything! I'm seeing her play Orfeo on Jan 14. What a great sneak peek!

Of course I was the only one who recognized Peter Gelb (or knew who he was) and Stephanie Blythe. Poor Stephanie, though. She was rehearsing the day after Christmas! No one should have to do anything the day after Christmas.

After the exciting and informative tour (a must for all opera-lovers), we went to the new Met Opera Shop. They had Renee Fleming's gowns from the gala on display. They are so gorgeous. Of course I had to touch the edge of them. I just love the cream-colored one from Traviata. I also smelled La Voce, her perfume. It was very pretty. I wish it wasn't so expensive; I'd buy it in a heart-beat.

I bought a Thais poster. I can't wait to hang it up in my room! Overall, it was a really enjoyable day. Mom, Dad, and Heather went with me. Heather had never been to the Met before; what a strange way to be introduced to it. I'm taking her to see Magic Flute on Tuesday (her birthday present). She's like, "I'm even more excited now!" We actually saw the bird that flies across the stage with the three boys riding on it (for Magic Flute).

What fun!

I'm working hard on my Poppea music. That Baroque recit can be so hard to memorize. The duet is memorized and my scene (recit) is almost done. It's the Fortuna duet/trio that I haven't really worked on for memorization yet. I hope I'm done in time!

I'm sure I'll be fine. When I get back on Tues, I shall give report. Until then, cheerio!

No comments: