Sunday, December 21, 2008

42 x 28 (or 68 x 32)

We had our costume fitting for the opera. What fun! We have a costumer just for the opera. Her name is Christina and she's so nice! She's making the costumes for us. How cool is that? We're getting custom-made costumes! I'm so excited. I love costumes and getting dressed up. I don't even care what it looks like. I'm not vain in that it has to make me look amazing. I just love dressing in clothes that I normally don't/can't wear. That's the single reason I love Halloween: it's an excuse to dress up and not get labeled as a weirdo.

I asked her what the costumes are going to be like. Christina said that they were going to be reminiscent of Ancient Greece (aka togas), but they're going to be more..."modern" I guess. She's going to be raiding thrift shops (hurray thrift shops!) and getting tunic-y things and cutting them up and layering them and such. Sounds good.

This is like a legit production. It's so thrilling to be part of it. I just get so excited!

Unsurprisingly, I had weird measurements. Christina kept shaking her head and re-measuring. They're just weird. Like the length from my collarbone to my waist is really short and my inseam is really long. My shoulders are pretty big (MAN SHOULDERS, YAY!) and my hands are big (my glove size is ridiculous). This is why I'm playing the pants role! It just makes me laugh how everything in life works out. I happen to have the voice for the pants roles and my body was built for it, too! Those are two things that I have no control over and they work together! The detailed, complex organization of the universe never ceases to amaze me.

I was thinking about this and I started to remember stories. Once, I was outside shoveling some old lady's sidewalk with my brother. I had my big ski jacket on and a hat. When we were done, the lady said, "Thank you boys." My brother automatically replied, "That's my sister."

Story 2: We were at the Bethpage Restoration (cool place, by the way) and again, I was in a winter jacket and hat. The guy in the pub thought I was a boy. He kept staring at me and then he asked my mom how she dealt with three boys. Then I took off my hat and he said, "Oh, you don't look like a boy at all when you're not wearing that silly hat." Granted, the hat was silly, but I'm silly.

I have other stories but they all sound the same after a while.

I can't wait for rehearsals to start for Poppea. Things might be a little hairy for a while, but it will all work out in the end. It's like that scene from Falstaff: a lot of work but worth it in the end. I think that's the definition of opera in general. A challenge, but one worthy of pursuing.

Well...4 days to Christmas. That makes me one happy camper. :)

P.S. "A Million Parachutes" by Sixpence None the Richer = LOVE

1 comment:

opera_luvr said...

How exciting!!! Reading all about your production is making me want to be in an opera at my school!! But alas, priorities do not allow :( I can't wait to keep reading about the entire exciting process :)