Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Opera News

Here's my opera news, as promised.

I got two (!) roles in Poppea. I'm playing Fortuna (Fortune), a goddess and Valletto, the empress' page. I shall elaborate.

It's going to be fun playing a goddess; especially an annoying one like Fortune. I get to annoy the heck out of Virtue. This seems rather ironic to be because to my friends (aka Rachel), I'm a "saint." Technically, I would side with Virtue in this opera. Sometimes they play her really straight-laced and obnoxious, but what else is new? Everyone always assumes that just because you're virtuous that means that you're boring. Not so! Anyway--

Fortune is only in the Prologue. She has a long duet (with lots of solo lines) with Virtue. Then Cupid comes in and is like, "I'm going to beat you both! Love conquers all. Whahah!" And then Fortune leaves, never to return.

Unless the director decides to keep the goddesses on stage. Sometimes they have the goddesses watching down over the action. It's cool for the audience but I think that's kind of annoying for the singers because they have to stand for the entire show reacting and not singing. Very annoying.

When I first saw Poppea (on DVD), I said to Mom: "Watch. I'll get that part. I'll sing one scene and then stand around for another three and a half hours." Famous last words.

However, I don't think that will happen because I also have to play Valletto. Can't be two people at once! Whahaha! to Isabel.

Another note: Fortune is often portrayed as a bald woman. Hurray. Typical casting decision for me. Why do I always get cast as the characters that are 1. most unlike me and 2. weird? I don't understand this.

Now, about Valletto. This character makes me super-psyched. Valletto is in about 4 scenes. I have one duet and a bunch of recit (speaking-singing). I'm the comic relief. In an opera about revenge and seduction and murder and Der Will zu Macht, a little comic relief is needed.

Side note: I always seem to be the comic relief. I guess that's a compliment. I was Sarah Good in The Crucible. We all know how heavy THAT show is. I guess it's funny when a crazy lady gets dragged away. Although anything might be funny at that point.

So, Valletto. He's a boy. Yessss. I'm playing my first "pants role." I shall explain for the n00bs:

In opera, young boys are played by women because a young boy would have a high voice. The typical pants role is Cherubino in Le Nozze di Figaro or Octavian in Der Rosenkavalier. It's pretty much what the bulk of my (projected) career is going to be, so this is a big and exciting step for me. I don't have to share this role (as far as I know), so that makes me even more happy. :)

I get to be in my first opera! And I have a decent part. I'm so excited.

I just think that it's kind of ironic that I spent the entire summer growing out my hair for the opera and now I'm playing a bald woman and a boy. Go figure.

So, happy happy joy joy. I can't wait to get started. :)

3 comments:

Leah said...

YAAAAAAY!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D This is so exciting! Can't wait to read all how rehearsals and performances go!

The other day I went to one of the GMU operas, and it was actually really good. Really made me want to try out, but there's just no way I would have time for it...all my Ed classes are kicking my butt, and this is my EASIEST semester lol...all that to say that I shall have to live vicariously through you :)

Congratulations again!!

Kim said...

Aww, thank you. You're too cute. :)

I shall be updating on rehearsals and such. I'll let you know how it's going. :D

Thanks again.

Rachel said...

You *are* a saint!!
I think we should set the opera in the New Academic Building, and have the last scene where they sing "Pur Ti Miro" either on the roof or in Dr. Ramael's office.
=)